In Episode 222, I’m joined by Drew Harrisberg and Kieron Rooney, PhD to discuss how the biochemistry of exercise can impact your health.
👇 Visit The Proof website for supporting studies and the full shownotes 👇
Evidence continuously shows us that the multitude of factors contributing to health and longevity are incredibly complex. Today, Kieran Rooney, PhD sits down with Drew Harrisberg and me to break down the biochemistry behind exercise, exploring both the theory and practical applications of improving your fitness.
If you’ve been listening to *The Proof* for a while now, you will be very familiar with Drew Harrisberg. Drew is an exercise physiologist, sports scientist, diabetes educator, and my good friend. He always opens up meaningful conversations on the show, bringing both curiosity and educated insight. Associate Professor Kieran Rooney is a biochemist and lecturer with decades of multi-disciplinary research behind him. As a researcher in metabolic biochemistry, he brings fascinating knowledge to the table for this conversation.
We cover a wide range of topics in this episode. In the first half, Kieron Rooney introduces a more technical, theory-based background that informs the technical applications in the second half. We discuss mitochondria efficiency, metabolic flexibility, and fat adaptation. Dr Rooney also offers training advice, and his thoughts on a ketogenic diet.
Specifically, we cover:
7:00 Rodent Studies on Sucrose
24:30 Biochemistry of Exercise
39:30 Creatine Supplementation for Athletes
44:53 Do you need meat for creatine?
46:57 How Our Bodies Produce ATP
1:01:00 Defining Mitochondria
1:05:59 Increasing Efficiency
1:08:33 Omega 6s: Essential or Problematic?
1:17:32 Metabolic Flexibility
1:18:08 Make more Mitochondria
1:29:26 Mitochondria & Longevity
1:35:14 Lactate Levels
1:46:53 Best Training Advice
1:56:43 HIIT vs Endurance
2:13:10 Can Keto Work Long-Term?
This conversation is absolutely worth the listen. You’ll gain both practical and theoretical knowledge, with a more comprehensive understanding of the biochemistry of exercise. It was great to have Drew and Kieron on the show for this discussion.
*Connect with Drew Harrisberg:*
• Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/drews.daily.dose/
• Website: http://www.drewsdailydose.com/
*Connect with Kieron Rooney, PhD:*
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/kieron_rooney
• Learn more about him and his work: https://www.sydney.edu.au/medicine-health/about/our-people/academic-staff/kieron-rooney.html
The best way to support the show is to use the products and services offered by our sponsors. To check them out, and enjoy great savings, visit http://theproof.com/friends
*More about Kieron Rooney, PhD*
Kieron joined the Faculty of Health Sciences at the University of Sydney in 2003 as a lecturer of the Biochemistry of Exercise and was promoted to Senior Lecturer in 2012 and then Associate Professor in 2019.
During this time Kieron has been responsible for the design and implementation of curriculum in units of study focussed on metabolic biochemistry and exercise physiology to both undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. Kieron’s research portfolio has included both human and small animal studies investigating the role of diet and physical activity on parameters of fuel storage and utilisation as they pertain to dysregulated metabolic states.
Kieron is currently the Head of the Discipline of Exercise and Sport Science (2020 – present); Co-Lead for the Charles Perkins centre Bias in Research node (2020 – present); and Co-Lead of the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sport and Physical Activity Research and TeAching Network (SPARTAN; 2021 – present).
• Metabolic characteristics of keto-adapted ultra-endurance runners [PMID: 26892521] https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26892521/
• Ketogenic low-CHO, high-fat diet: the future of elite endurance sport? https://physoc.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1113/jp278928
Want to support the show?
The best way to support the show is to use the products and services offered by our sponsors. To check them out, and enjoy great savings, visit https://theproof.com/friends/.
• The Proof with Simon Hill – https://theproof.com/podcast/
• Book: The Proof is in the Plants – https://theproof.com/book/
• Apple Podcast – https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-proof-with-simonhill/id1367773989
• Spotify – https://open.spotify.com/show/7bAIJCVgnquxXZuQCdZyTi
• Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/theproof/
• Twitter – https://twitter.com/theproof
• Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/theproofwithsimonhill
• Two week meal plan – https://theproof.com/mealplan/
• Plant Performance – https://theproof.com/plant-performance/
• Use the products and services offered by our sponsors. To check them out, and enjoy great savings, visit theproof.com/friends.
#theproofpodcast #simonhill #theproof