Could red light therapy be used to help us sleep and help us relax more? In this second installment of our series exploring the technology behind the handheld red-light device we discuss the significance of the circadian rhythm and our ability to release the hormone melatonin. We also explore the longer-term implications for our energy levels during the day and healthspan. Dr. Zulia Frost is a medical doctor and clinical director at Recharge Health, creators of a targeted red-light device, known as FlexBeam.
In this conversation we cover:
• Dr. Frost explains that the technology has many applications, including the treatment of sports injuries, therapy for age-related aches and pains and as way to help improve sleep.
• Sleep disorders can be caused by an imbalance in the autonomic nervous system, which controls our sleep-wake cycle.
• Lack of sleep can lead to physical and mental fatigue, decreased cognitive function, and increased risk of accidents and mistakes.
• Technology and exposure to artificial light, especially blue light from screens, can disrupt our natural sleep patterns.
• Red light therapy, such as the FlexBeam device, can help improve sleep by stimulating the release of melatonin, a hormone that regulates sleep-wake cycles.
• Melatonin is released by the pineal gland, as well as various cells throughout the body, in response to red light.
• Red light therapy can also improve mitochondrial function and reduce oxidative stress, which can contribute to sleep disturbances.
• The optimal time and duration of red light therapy for sleep improvement may vary depending on individual needs and responses.
• Using red light therapy on specific areas of the body, such as the stomach, thymus, back of the neck, and sacrum, can target the release of melatonin and promote relaxation.
• Red light therapy should be used consistently, but not excessively, to allow the body to adapt and self-regulate melatonin production.
▸ Related conversations:
1. Dr. Zulia Frost (Part 1): Exploring the science behind red light therapy
2. Bjørn Ekeberg, co-founder FlexBeam Targeted red light therapy to support recovery |
▸ Discount on purchase of a Flexbeam unit
▸ Recharge Health is offering LLAMA podcast listeners an $80.00 discount on the purchase of FlexBeam, the wearable and targeted red light therapy device which targets key parts of the body needing healing and recovery.
Use the code LLAMA at checkout here
▸ DISCLOSURE: This video includes affiliate links from which we derive a small commission. It helps support the podcast and allows us to continue sharing conversations about human longevity. LLAMA is available, free of charge, via multiple podcasting platforms. Our mission is to explore the science and lifestyle interventions that could help us live longer and better. Thank you for the support!
The Live Long and Master Aging podcast, a HealthSpan Media LLC production, shares ideas but does not offer medical advice. If you have health concerns of any kind, or you are considering adopting a new diet or exercise regime, you should consult your doctor. The information contained within this interview is for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to replace the advice or attention of health care professionals.